Murray and Heather Rand's adventures aboard Windswept IV
Hull and Deck:
- Wash thoroughly with fresh water. Wax if time.
- Scrub dodger and bimini and make any repairs necessary. Remove and store inside the vessel.
- Scrub cockpit cushions and stow belowdecks.
- Put sun awning in place over spinnaker pole and boom. Secure by sewing and tying down. Use old beer foamies to protect edges of solar panels.
- Cover all vents with bug screen. Stuff screen or rags in thru hull openings to keep out critters.
- Dispose of bulk food stuffs ie flour, rice etc as it will get buggy over the summer.
- Wash dishes and pots with lots of HOT water
- Wipe down stove and turn OFF propane.
- Clean and empty defrosted frig and freezer. Wipe out with vinegar and leave frig open.
- Store all canned goods in Rubbermaid tote. DO NOT KEEP CARBONATED BEVERAGES OVER THE SUMMER. They will burst.
- Dispose of open bottles of condiments.
- Put bay leaves in ziplock with pasta to prevent bugs.
- Dispose of any chocolate chips as they go chalky in the heat.
- Empty water tanks before haul-out. Inspect and clean as necessary
- Clean all strainers. Engine, toilet, frig, watermaker
Sails and Rigging:
- Wash sails, if possible, at dock.
- Remove sails and inspect. Make any repairs necessary.
- Remove battens from main and store belowdecks.
- Fold sails and stow below.
- Remove sheets, wash, dry and stow.
- Attach both genoa halyards at the first stanchion on either side to help support rig during haul-out.
- Remove and secure forestay just before haul-out.
- Clean and disassemble.
- Repair any leaks.
- Fold and stow on foredeck.
- Stow paddles below.
Outboard and Generator:
- Change engine oil in both.
- Run both out of fuel.
- Flush outboard with fresh water. ( we do it in a bucket of water in cockpit)
- Lock outboard to the rail and cover with tarp.
- Change engine oil.
- Change transmission oil.
- Fill 5 gal pair with fresh water to flush through main engine after haul-out.
- Remove exhaust hose and seal manifold with plastic.
- Remove glow plugs and install rust inhibitor.
- Top off fuel tank and install biocide/conditioner
- Put all books in ziplock bags.
- Wipe all wood surfaces with vinegar solution.
- Unplug TV
- Pull batteries out of all flashlights, remote controls, smoke alarm etc and store separately in ziplock bag.
- Leave access ports to lockers open.
- Wash bilge and dry completely.
- Remove speed impellor and cover hole with screening. Do not replace with plug.
- Wipe down all tools with WD-40.
- Spray cans of paint should be stored in ziplocks as they can burst with high temperatures.
- Remove electronics – GPS, Radar, Pactor, HF radio etc and store in roughtote.
- Disconnect wiring at the base of the mast.
- Remove face plate from AM/FM.
- Disable ground circuit.
- Remove Link 10 and store.
- Leave bilge pump on Automatic.
- Connect all batteries together.
- Leave solar panels to charge.
- Turn off wind generator electrically.
- Fully charge and equalize batteries before haul-out. Remove ground from charger/inverter
Bug and Mildew Preventatives:
- Diegas bags can be found at Walgreens. They are Sunpac and are a mildewcide. Get lots as they are cheap.
- Buy Boric Acid Powder at the Dollar Store and put lots out on plastic plates. Any roaches will eat this and DIE.
- Also purchase No Pest strips and hang.
- I also put up fly strips as any bugs in food will hatch and can be caught by these.
- I also buy ant traps and mouse traps and leave around on the floor.