Healing Journey

The seven weeks in the hard collar seemed to take forever to pass. The first few weeks were not too bad as I was glad to have had a solution found to my “wobbly” legs and numb hands. Initially, I could hardly get out of bed without help. But, eventually, I was up and around and even getting dressed by myself. Sleeping in the collar didn’t seem too bad either. But, the last few weeks of collar wearing, were a whole other story. The weather had warmed up and I was roasting! And, I started to lose patience with the darn thing! I could never look down – at my feet, my dinner plate or a book.

So, on June 14th when the surgeon said “ You can take it off – for good!” , I did a little happy dance right in his office! The huge grin didn’t leave my face for a whole week! The next day was my birthday and I could not have asked for a better present.

A few days later, we went to a dance at our community centre and had a ball. I danced Murray’s feet off! I don’t think that we sat out any of the fast ones but did sit for the slow ones. I was back!

The next week found us loading the little motorhome for a trip around Ontario. The purpose of the trip was to catch up with friends and family, especially those that we seldom see. During the two weeks, we spent only one night in a campground. The rest of the time, we were in someone’s driveway. During the two weeks, we visited with a total of 26 persons! It was a whirlwind trip.

Returning home, we hit rush hour in Toronto ( although when is it ever NOT rush hour there? ) with lots of stop and go traffic. And it was HOT! The motorhome transmission started to get overheated and there was not much we could do about it. When the traffic finally thinned out, the temperature dropped into a better range but the transmission was still giving trouble. After a night parked at home, things improved again although Murray still wants to change the transmission fluid.

Now we are back into the swing of things here with aqua-size in the mornings and visits to the pool in the afternoon to just cool down. Murray is still helping out at the farm when he is needed. A few days ago, we drove to Sarnia to help celebrate a 50th anniversary. With ours coming up next year, I want to get as many ideas as possible. Because ours is in the middle of May, I will want to have everything planned before we head south again.

Yes, you read that right. We are planning our 20th season aboard W4 in the islands. As long as I am not “wobbly” and am safe aboard, we will go once again.

Until then,
Heather & Murray
hard aground

1 thought on “Healing Journey”

  1. Glad to see you are having a good recovery. What a great health care system we enjoy! We have just completed a circumnavigation of Lake Superior in the Alfa over 3 weeks and what a great trip that was. Gord’s hip only slowed him up a little.I can recommend that adventure in your camper for sure. I will send you the article I have written for the car magazine FYI

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top