Travels with Murray Part 4

After a lazy morning, we pressed on towards Pugwash, Nova Scotia, and our Boondockers Welcome stay for two nights. It was a horse farm without horses now. There was a large field for us to camp in but the entrance was quite narrow. I kept a close watch on the fence post on my side as Murray slipped in as though he was driving the Smart car. We circled the field a time or two and picked out the most level spot that also had some shade. 

After getting set up, we took the car into the village of Pugwash. There we found an ice cream store and an information centre as well as a lovely park. And, yes, we did enjoy some ice cream  quickly before it melted on this very hot day. Back at the farm, we met one of our hosts, Nancy. She soon expanded on the information that we received in town.

The next day, we took the car to Springfield and visited Anne Murray’s Centre. What a great display of her career and many gold records and albums! After a lunch at the pub right across the road, we headed to the Miners Museum, where we learned about the “bump” that caused the mine collapse in 1958. The “bump” was an underground earthquake and 75 miners were killed. Some men were rescued after being trapped for 5 days. In total 100 miners were found alive. There was a mine shaft that we could walk down into at the museum but opted not to do so.

On the way back to Pugwash, Heather spotted a Lobster Pound and Murray got a couple of cold but cooked lobster. We arrived back at the farm to find that another RV had joined us. They were huge, about 45 feet, and were having trouble with their jacks sinking into the soft  ground. Overnight it poured rain and we were concerned whether we could get out of this field. At one point, we slid sideways but managed to get out onto the road. Heading to Prince Edward Island!

At the island end of the Confederation Bridge was a huge welcome centre, with a lot of shops connected. Our spot for the night was right beside the welcome centre at Lone Oak Brewery. As it was early afternoon, we parked and visited the shops, the ice cream spot plus tasted a beer and a cider at the brewery while listening to live music. Murray opted for the excellent clam chowder from the brewery for dinner while I had a chicken Caesar salad. That night, five other RV’s  joined us in the parking lot and it became very difficult for us to get out. In fact, we had to ask the brewery if they could move a truck before we could leave. 

The welcome centre had free wifi so we parked there in the morning and posted an update to the website. The main reason for using the free wifi was that I had run out of data two days ago, on the 27th of July! Now I had to survive until August 1st before my data reset. Time to get the paper maps out as there will be no more Google Maps!

Other than going into data withdrawal, things are going well aboard. But, who knows what the next few days might bring?

That too is Life on the Road

Heather & Murray

2 thoughts on “Travels with Murray Part 4”

  1. Your journey takes me back to 1998 when Bob and I did the same things you saw and loved it all so much, especially Ann Murray and the mines, Yes the confederation bridge is awesome. I was the first time for Bob, but I had done the East Coast with my children before. The people are so friendly and the Cod and Cod cheeks and lobster were awesome.
    Safe travels XOXO

  2. Sounds like a great adventure. We just got home Monday July 31st , had a great bus tour and tour with the family. Really enjoyed our trip to England. Travel safe! Enjoy!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top