Back to USA

Hi everyone

When I wrote last, we were leaving Marsh Harbour to work our way towards the US, hopefully arriving before June 1st.

In Baker’s Bay we met Two Grand from Vero Beach with Tom & Cheryl and her parents aboard. We shared drinks and jokes one evening.

In Green Turtle, we had two days of rain and filled all our tanks. One night, the group of us went to a club to see The Gully Roosters play. Just as the band came to the stage, all the lights went out. We thought it was a dramatic opening but it wasn’t. Every light on the island was out! We waited for a half hour or so, and stumbled our way back to the anchored boats. When the sun came out the next day, we were off on land adventures. A floating cocktail party was even held one afternoon and I became the “monkey in the middle” in a water fight! What fun!

There were six boats that departed from Green Turtle heading north. Lo ‘n Slo with Dave and Brenda. Tundra with Kathy & Brian. Mar-Nel IV with Peter & Lani. Heron’s Wing with Ike & Carol. Shivaree with John & Kristen. And us. Lo ‘ n Slo had to turn back with engine problems.

! It is now Thursday, June 4th and we are anchored at Great Sale Cay and about 160 miles yet to go. The weather has not co-operated, but what is new. This time, it is a lack of wind that holds us here, or rather wind from a useable direction. We spent two days in Green Turtle Cay getting rained on but managed to fill all our water tanks and every container that we could find.

We left Green Turtle for Allans-Pensacola Cay where we spent two nights bouncing in the waves. From there, we motorsailed to Great Sale where we will await weather to cross the Gulf stream to Cape Canaveral. At least, that is the plan.

The water here is cloudy. It is from the bonefish stirring up the fine sand on the bottom as they lay their eggs. But it is strange to swim in cloudy water. It is also very warm – about 85. Near the beaches. it is 95!! Hardly refreshing.

Well, we got up on Friday the 5th, and said ” we could wait forever here. Let’s move closer to the jump off point”. So, we upped anchor at 9:30 and started motoring into the waves. We got a little lift from the main but not much. We headed towards Mangrove Cay ( 22 miles away ) or perhaps Memory Rock ( 27 miles past that ). We stopped on-route to repair a buddy boat. They had fuel problems and Murray helped change fuel filters. And on we went. Arriving at Mangrove by 4 pm, we decided to go to Memory Rock and maybe anchor on the banks and head across the gulf stream in daylight. We got to Memory Rocks at 9 pm and the wind was building. The captain says ” Let’s go for it!” So, on we went. It was 72 miles to Ft Pierce. We decided that was far enough. We arrived and anchored by 9:30 am. Then checked in with customs etc. We then ran around re-fueling diesel and propane and filling water tanks. Even bought some cheap beer!! Soon it will be time to sleep – we only cat napped last night. But, it is extremely HOT and HUMID here. I hope we can sleep.

Tomorrow, I think we will sail up the coast to Cape Canaveral ( 55 miles buoy to buoy ). We plan to coastal sail as much as possible. Depending on the weather, of course. But, it is cooler out on the ocean.

Arrived at Cape Canaveral late last night. Thunderstorms all around us but we missed them. The waves were building because of the NE wind and we had to power into them. It took 13 hours to travel approx 75 miles. Time to rest for a few days and re-stock.

All the best to everyone and we will be in touch.

Heather & Murray Rand
aboard Windswept IV
Ham Radio VE3 ZUA