We finally got the boat all pretty and freshly painted and re-launched on Sept 4th. The next few days were spent finishing things inside and taking a slight break from all of the work. Our friends, Kathy & Brian on Tundra and Jane & Sandor on Satori, were still working hard and we tried to help as we could.
By the time we were ready to leave, the wind had switched to the north and a cold Canadian front was whistling down the Bay. We enjoyed the cooler nights and tried to wait patiently for the wind to change directions. For the non-sailors, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to go in the direction that the wind is coming from! At last, the wind is changing and our friends reluctantly bid us farewell. York River Yacht Haven was a great place to haul out and we will miss the friends that we have made there. But, Sept 10th, we waved goodbye and headed out to the Bay.
The next two nights were spent in Mill Creeks but they are separated by many miles. The first one was off of the Great Wicomico River, just below the Potomac. We had anchored there on the way south and found it a delightful and quiet spot. We had met a boat from there in Royal Island and they had invited us to stop for cocktails. We were too tired to launch the dinghy – perhaps the next time.
The second Mill Creek is off of the Pautuxant River, near the Solomon Islands. The book had recommended this spot as quiet and peaceful. It was quite right. We anchored before 6 pm and sipped cocktails as the sun set behind the headlands. The lights came on in the lovely homes around us and the only sounds were our stereo and the ducks. After a dinner in the cockpit and a brief shower to cool off, we retired below to read and write e-mail.
Tomorrow we will head for Oxford on the Tred Avon River off of the Choptank River. This is supposed to be one of the lovliest spots in the Chesapeake. We plan to stay a few days and hope to catch up with Charlie & Joyce on Woodstock. They are spending some time there at the Oxford Boatyard before a trip to Europe.
Jeremy arrives in Baltimore on the 19th and we must be there in advance to anticipate any bad weather. While there we plan to show him the Aquarium, perhaps a ballgame, and tour some of the lovely rivers in the Chesapeake until he has to return to Ottawa. We will leave him in Annapolis and stay there until the boat show. Then, make tracks south!! Before the cold, I hope. Last year we waited too late and froze!
That is the latest update on our plans. But, as we say, all of our plans are written in Jello!
Take care all, and enjoy the lovely fall weather with it’s hot days and cool nights. We sure are!!
Heather & Murray Rand
aboard Windswept IV
Ham Radio VE3 ZUA