We finally did it – left the dock! Last Sunday, almost a week ago now, we started the motor, slipped the lines and waved goodbye to the friends on the dock. It was a cool but sunny day and we motored up the river towards Jacksonville, with the tidal current giving us a little extra push. The bridges in Jacksonville cooperated and delayed us very little. But, as we approached the junction of the river and the ICW, the calculations showed that we would not be able to make the 25 miles on to the next anchorage. So, we stopped early and tucked into a cove to spend the night. Murray did his usual magic with the barbeque and we crash.

Before dawn, we were up and hauled anchor at first light. The new windlass works like a champ and was worth all of the aggravation Murray had while installing it. That day, we pushed past St Augustine and anchored early once again. This time it was due to lightning in the area with heavy rain. The strong currents of the Matanzas River was to be our home for the night. The rain continued most of the night and on into the morning hours. But, before 8 am,donned in rain gear, we hauled anchor and moved on once more. This time, we passed through Daytona, New Symrna and into the Mosquito Lagoon. Just before a beautiful sunset, we dropped anchor on the side of the ICW and ducked below to avoid those critters that the area is named for.

The wind was behind us the next day and helped push us on down the waterway. As we approached Cocoa Beach, Murray suggested that we stop and visit cruising friends who have a place on the ICW. We anchored in front of their home, went ashore and spent a lovely afternoon and evening catching up and planning winter adventures.

By, 3 pm the next day,Thursday, we had reached our temporary destination – Ft Pierce. We had traveled 260 nautical miles since our departure on Sunday. Here we have friends who need some assistance with computer/GPS connections etc.

Their connection has been made and works with the navigation program that she is familiar with. And they have driven us all over to obtain the parts necessary to make our repairs. Yes, things are broken on board already. The water heater failed, the pressure water system as well. My computer/GPS cable burned up – well, didn’t catch fire but got hot and failed. So, repairs are underway here and we are visiting with friends ashore daily.

There is a weather window for a crossing on Sunday/Monday. If all of our jobs are completed, we MAY be able to catch it. Otherwise, we will look for the next one as we head on down further south.

From up north, we hear that there is lots of snow but maybe the hot air generated by the coming election will melt it all away. Ho, ho. Enjoy the snow but don’t believe too much of the rhetoric from the politicians.

Hugs to all, Heather & Murray underway again